Concurrent Degree with YFES
The Five-Year Concurrent Degree Program offered by Yale-NUS and the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies (YFES) is designed for students who want to pursue careers in an environmental field. The program will begin accepting students from the inaugural August 2013 intake in December 2016:
The key features of the Concurrent Degree Program are as follows:
- The Yale-NUS Bachelor of Arts (Honours) or Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree will be awarded following completion of four years of undergraduate study.
- For Yale-NUS students admitted to the YFES 5th Year Concurrent Degree Program, the Master of Environmental Science (MES) or Master of Environmental Management (MEM) degree will be awarded following one additional academic graduate year of study at YFES.
- To be eligible for the 5th Year Program, Yale-NUS students must complete the Environmental Studies major requirements and spend one semester during their junior or senior year at Yale, taking upper level courses in Yale College in the US.
- Admitted students will also be expected to work in an environmentally-related position for one year following graduation from Yale-NUS, and prior to matriculating at YFES.
- The Master of Environmental Science Degree is designed for students interested in conducting scientific research that contributes toward basic and applied knowledge. The course of study includes formalized training in the philosophy, ethics, and practice of science.
- The Master of Environmental Management Degree is designed for students pursuing careers such as environmental policy, analysis, stewardship, education, consulting, or management concerning natural resource sustainability. The program aims to provide students with a scientific understanding of ecological and social systems, which then can be applied in a policy or management context.